Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Furniture!

Well, we finally got our furniture, and I have to say I am happily suprised by the fact that the movers were able to get the furniture into the apartment.  I had my doubts about the couch and the headboard as they are quite big, realitively speaking.  I knew they would make it up the stairs and through the door because the stairways in the older buildings of Finland are wide and the doors tend to be split and open up on both sides.  Our apartment building is no exception.  The challenge that I saw was the front door, which is not too wide, and the scaffolding on the front of the building that is in place for ongoing rennovations.  Happily they managed somehow, and they were respectful and hard working.  The experience was a good one, though I felt bad for them because we live on the fourth floor, six flights of stairs up, and the elevator is still being built!

That being said, we had a few surprises in the mix as things were delivered.  First, one of the legs on a dining room table chair was broken off and my husband's desk was bent (it's a metal frame with glass top).  Then, a file cabinet we had no intention of bringing was delivered, and a table we wanted delivered was not.  Have you ever noticed just how ugly four-drawer metal file cabinets are?!  They really are ugly, and big, and hard to hide.  We have no space to put the thing, and had to put it in the front hallway...U-G-L-Y, ugly!  Anyway, it is handy to have and we are stuck with it, so we're managing to see the humor in it.  As for the desk, we have bent it back enough that it works, so life is pretty good.  We don't miss the floor living that we were doing.  Oh, and the bed...it fit in the bedroom and I can still open the closet doors...it's a miracle!  I had doubted Brian's measurements when looking at the room size (something I should know better than to do...he is annoyingly accurate all he time) but it turns out it was an optical illusion and there was plenty of room.

The echo in the living room is less noticable, and it is so nice to not be on the floor all the time.  It seems that we are not as young as we once were, a shock to us I can tell you, and getting up from the floor was getting harder to do.  Funny how getting down is little of a problem, while getting up is quite the challenge.  Probably something to do with gravity or some physics nonsense like that, but I'm thinking that it is more likely that I have gotten old and fat.  Either way, I am in love with chairs and a bed that doesn't leak air.

So that is it about the furniture.  We are feeling even more at home now, and Tesla is enjoying reclaiming the furniture that she knows, and scent marking the new furniture we bought for the apartment.  Until later...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cousins! Got your card today and just had to jump on to let you know we are out here thinking of the 3 of you. I'm on Mike's computer so will add my photo next time. So excited to catch up on your entries and very glad that you decided to do this.

    Bummer about the Fruit Loops! :-(

    When we go to Williamsburg for Thanksgiving, We'll get all the Bonds signed up to follow you.

    Thrilled for your adventure. Love, Cath and Mike

    ReplyDelete