Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I'm Still Alive

For those of you who wondered, yes, I'm still alive.  It may not seem like it given the lack of posts lately, but I have been busy and traveling and have not taken the time to write.  So, now I can update you on what's been going on. 

The snow is gone...I think for good this season, but you never know...this is Finland.  The weather has been beautiful and I have been taking walks along the coast.  It is like Helsinki has come alive again.  People are out and active, the cafes and resturants have their tables outside now, and the outdoor market is in full swing.  There are tour busses everywhere...including my neighborhood.  Imagine that;  I live in a tourist area. People pay money to see where I live!  I feel rather special now.

I have also been traveling.  I have been to Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Estonia.  Not bad for a simple housewife.  Everywhere I visited was beautiul.  I saw the Parthanon in Athens and was amazed by its grandure.  I saw the windmills and winding streets of white houses and shops in Mykonos and the old fort of Dubrovnik.  I went to the old town in Tallin and had a meal that was medevil...a little too medevil for my taste, but good none-the-less.  It has been a whirlwind tour and I love it.  In just over a week I am going to the Caribbean with a friend.  Finally my passport is getting a proper workout.

So that has been my life for the past few weeks.  I have been busy and well traveled.  Oh, and I got a delightful compliment while in Mykonos, Greece.  My travel companions and I were at a little bar on the island where it was decided that we should try uzo (not sure of the spelling).  Anyway, I don't like the flavor of anise, so decided to get a shot of Tequilla instead.  The waiter semed suprized by my order, did a double take at me, and asked if I wanted something strong.  I said yes, and he said he would take care of me.  What he brought was indeed strong (it was Raki for those who are interrested) and it was quite good.  But I digress.  The compliment that he gave was in asking if we were all Scandinavian.  He was quite sure that we were from Finland or Sweden.... despite the lack of accent, apparently.  I take that as a compliment.  I like the people of Finland and am proud to be taken for one.  Of course here in Helsinki I am sure that I stick out as an American, but I'll take the compliment just the same.

I will do my best to post more regularly, but will be traveling on and off.  Please be patient and I will try to make it worth your while.  I'm sure there is much more for me to see and do and write about.  Helsinki is an amazing city and I have just begun to explore it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment