Sunday, October 23, 2011

Intro

The purpose of this blog is to keep my friends up to date with my life in Finland, and for those who don't know me, to tell about my experiences as I find my way around Helsinki as a new American ex-pat to the country.

Two weeks ago my husband and I moved here to Helsinki , Finland due to my husband's job transfer; I'm just along for the ride, and right now we are living in our apartment without any furniture.  It's really rather boring.  We have an inflatable bed, and are using boxes as tables, though we have to sit on the hard wood floors to use them. 

We have ventured out to purchase things we'll need, like curtains.  Thank God the Finns speak english and my husband is able to convert inches into metric.  Of course, our curtains wern't standard length and had to be custom made.  This was an easier process than I have experienced in the States, and seems to be a common occurance based on the large section in the department store, and the ease with which the clerk wrote up the order.

I won't mention the cost, as everything is more expensive here in Finland.  Today we plan to go shopping for some winter gear in anticipation of the cold weather that's coming.  I have my eye on a fabulous leopard print hat that I saw in a window the other day.  Won't that be stunning?

So that's about it for now.  With any luck I will update this blog on a regular basis and let you know about the things that I experience and encounter along the way.  With better luck, I will learn how to add pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Janet, glad to see you are posting. Take a picture of the hat even if you aren't going to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good friend in Finland, and I had been there myself a few years back for a week. Make sure you sauna often for your health! Also, try to find a paintball course. I had a lot of fun shooting finns when I was there last!

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete