Thursday, October 27, 2011

The people

So here is what I have learned so far about the Finnish people (I don't know if they like to be called Finns).  My experience has been that the Finns are very nice and happy to help when asked, with the notable exception of service in resturants.  They tend to be quiet and keep to themselves in general when in public.  I have not been in a social setting with any Finnish people yet, so I don't know if they let loose when in private.

Most Finns in Helsinki speak English quite well and seem happy to do so once they realize you don't speak Finnish.  All you have to do is reply "hello", or "excuse me?" and they switch right over without any difficulty.  I am told that most Finns speak Swedish as well which I find very impressive, as many Americans have difficulty with the one language they speak!

I have also noticed that there is no word for "please" (I looked it up in my Finnish/English dictionary) and that there seems to be no use of the words "excuse me" if they do exist in their lexicon.  I mean this to say that in the USA if you want to pass by or through where someone is standing you say "excuse me".  Not so here in Finland;  people just go through without a word.  Granted, this does not seem to be taken as rude, but rather as a given, so it is only my perspective that makes it a bad thing.

My experience with  service workers (electrician and delivery people) has been that they are friendly but not talkitive and get straight to work. This is a change from the USA where there is always small talk. 

And people tend to be on time here for appointments.  I don't just mean that they are within a reasonable timeframe of the given appointment..I mean that they are on time (not late, not early).  It's kind of freaky, actually.  It's as though they wait in their cars to time it just right....weird.  I can't wait to see if the doctor's offices are the same.

So those are my thoughts so far.  I will update you as I learn more.

2 comments:

  1. Anteeksi?

    Apparently it means sorry or whatever you want, excuse me, all these kinds of things.

    This is Shauna, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people in Finland don't speak Swedish. There is about 6% population of Finns who speak both Swedish and Finnish daily, and the rest 94% never use it or try to avoid situations where they are expeted to know any Swedish. Swedish is mandatory in schools, even in areas where there are no Swedish speaking population, which frustrates pupils all over the country.

    I never liked Swedish langauge in schools. If I had a chance of deciding which languages I could learn, in addition to Finnish and English, I would have taken French, Russia or German rather than Swedish.

    ReplyDelete