Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Brain is Teflon

So I have been taking Finnish lessons twice a week and I have a very good tutor.  She is patient, doesn't flinch as I butcher her native language, and has customized my lessons to fit my way of learning.  All that said, I still don't get it.  My brain is made of Teflon...nothing sticks to it.  Really, I'm quite convinced of it.  I can't seem to remember what I learn from one lesson to the next.  Forget that, I can't even remember it long enough to do my homework in-between lessons!

That's what has brought on this latest tirade, truth be told .  I'm sitting here trying to do my homework and I'll be darned if I can remember what order the words go in, or what the appropriate ending, or endings, are for the words.  Have I mentioned that words are very long here?  They are, and now I'm learning what can be added to the root word to make it a question and so on.  So basically what I am getting from this is that the Finns are efficient.  What we Americans say in four or five words, the Finns say in just one.  I haven't decided which way is better,  I know, my tutor says it isn't a matter of being better, it is a matter of simply being different.  She is right, of course, but I still can't help wondering.

So I will go back to my homework like a good little student, but I make no promises...I will still probably butcher the language!  My apologies to all good Finns everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment