Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Which is Softer?

Which is softer: a lamb or an elephant?  No, I haven't lost my mind, or my sense of touch either.  But this is the choice here in Finland when it comes to toilet paper.  You heard me right.  Toilet paper.  I was in the grocery today and noticed once again the pictures on the toilet paper packages.  OK, toilet paper is pretty hard to mistake, it is usually in more or less clear packaging and it isn't hard to understand what it is.  That being said, I can't read the writting on the package, and while I'm sure it touts the softness and strength qualities of the paper, I am left to use the pictures on the packages to decide which to choose.

Enter the lamb and the elephant.  Oh, yes, there is also a squirrel.  For those who have touched these three animals, the choice is easy.  Please, elephants are rough and scratchy, squirrels not too bad, but by far, the lamb is the softest.  If you wanted your toilet paper to feel like an animal, is an elephant really the first thing that comes to mind?  I love them, don't get me wrong, but what were the advertising people thinking?  OK, perhaps strength, but that's a little overkill, don't you think?  I suppose the squirrel wants to secret away the wonderful paper?  I just don't know.

Chalk it up to one more mystery for the non-Finnish-reading American.  Perhaps there is a story here I am just not getting, but it struck me funny and I thought I would share.

1 comment:

  1. I think the elephant is connected to a TV-commercial on Finnish television for kitchen paper...there's this kid who spills water or something on the floor, and an elephant appears from nowhere and sucks the water off the floor in a matter of seconds...supposedly this means that the kitchen paper in question is so thick and effective, it's like an elephant using its trunk to suck the water off the floor or wherever - just like that :)
    And yeah, I think it's a stupid commercial :-D
    Any other questions ? :))

    ReplyDelete