Sunday, April 1, 2012

What About Easter?

Many of my friends back home have asked me repeatedly to post things about the traditions of Finland on the holidays.  Easter is upon us now, and I wanted to share what little I do know about this holiday with my readers. 

For the most part, the traditions here in Finland seem to be the same as in the States.  It is a religious holiday afterall, and so most (if not all) of the religious observances apply.  I don't rightly know if there are differences in the religious traditions as we have not yet found/selected a church.  Beyond that I have discovered a few points of interest surrounding the holiday.

Today, for example, is Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter Sunday).  In the States I would expect to be handed a palm frond or cross made out of palm fronds at church.  This may be the case here as well (see above disclaimer).  What I am hoping for here is a knock on my door tonight.  Apparently, children aged 6mos to 13yrs or so will go door to door and wave a colorful stick at you while reciting a little poem.  The stick is generally something they have made with colorful feathers and do dads, although I think I found some in a store already made up.  Anyway, after this "ritual" is performed the recipient of this blessing is expected to give each child candy and/or money.  It is kind of like Halloween except the children perform for what they receive, and you as the home owner are left with good luck in your home.  I don't know if there ar any children in our building, but I am prepared, and just a little bit excited.

Now for something that my husband and I are both happy about:  the Finns celebrate Easter by having a four day weekend...both Friday and Monday off.  The only downside:  the stores are all closed on Friday, Sunday and Monday, meaning I have to actually be organized with my grocery shopping and not have the luxury of running to the store for those oft forgotten items.  Ah well, a small price to pay.

Finally, there are a number of Finnish food traditions, and while I know I have been told about more than just this one, it seems to be the only one that stuck in my brain (which is teflon, remember?)  So here it is:  I give you the Mignon Egg.  It is an actual egg that has been blown out and filled with chocholate, then the hole resealed with a white sugar mixture.  You place the egg in the rerigerator for 15 to 30 minutes, and then peel the shell off and eat the chocolate.  What a fun concept...and yummy desert (I have done a dry run to be certain it is worthwhile, and I assure you it is).

So this is what I know of Easter here in Finland.  I am sorry that it is not more, but I feel it is worth sharing.  I'm not sure exactly what we will be doing for the weekend, but I am sure it will be a wonderful time.  Have a wonderful holiday everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Janet,
    The gals at Curves want to know if you performed your stint in the Baltic in the buff.
    Let us know soon, okay. We are very curious

    ReplyDelete
  2. During Eastern, did you encounter any mämmi? The black pudding made of barley which looks like it had been eaten once already. If you did, I hope you ate it with sugar and milk/cream. It doesn't taste very good without being covered with sugar.

    ReplyDelete