Friday, March 30, 2012

Squashed

Although this was not the first time I experienced this, it struck me today that it was something worth sharing with those who haven't travelled by tram.  So I went to downtown Helsinki today by tram (trolley) and found that it was packed.  When I say packed, think sardines...and there were at least a dozen people at my stop waiting to get on, some with luggage. 

The question that comes to mind as the tram comes to a stop is: should I join the fun?  Ah, yes, the option of riding at a comfortable temperature vs. the prospect of walking in the cold.  So I joined in, got on, and held tight to my pole so that I wouldn't fall over into those seated near me.  I practiced in my head the word for "sorry" in Finnish just in case, and came close to having to use it, but managed to recover in time.

The thing that struck me was: thank goodness the Finns are a meticulously groomed people because you get up close and personal with the people surrounding you each time the tram stops suddenly (as when a pedestrian walks in front of it) or takes a turn quickly.  And even just standing there you get to know more about the people standing next to you than you thought possible without an actual conversation.  OK, it may not be that bad, but you are standing one next to the other, touching, and I am pleased to report that all those years of therapy dealing with my crowd anxiety  has finally paid off.

At any rate, I made it to the city without falling onto anyone sitting, and fell into someone standing only once (it was like dominos as we all leaned into each other one by one when the tram took the turn a wee bit fast).  There was no talking, no "excuse me," and no laughter at the situation....as might have been the case with Americans. It was taken for granted that this is the was the way it is, and there is no need to express what is already understood. 

I must say that such a crowded tram is the exception, not the rule, and is well worth the service it provides.  I love the public transit in Helsinki and cannot say enough for how clean, timely, and safe it has been so far.  Just one more thing the Finns do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment