Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Baltic...BRRRR!!!

Yes, you guessed it.  I went ice swimming in the Baltic!  Friday was a grand day.  Lisa and I participated in a mile walk/run for charity and at the end there was an opportunity to go ice swimming and sauna afterwards.

Knowing that the opportunity was going to be there, I came prepared to go swimming and got it set in my mind that I was going to do it...crazy or not.  I met a wonderful lady from Austrailia who was also determined to experience the ice swim for the first time and we did it together with a small crowd of friends to cheer us on.

The initial plunge was not as bad as I anticipated.  I expected my breath to be taken away and my heart to stop.  I was assured by one of the onlookers that they were trained in CPR just in case (a joke, I was hoping).  It was a fun time, and although the water was freezing, it was not heart stopping.  I was unsure how long to stay the water in order to make it an official swim, but decided that it need'nt be too long and I promptly swam in a circle and got out.  I have been watching the swimmers from my window for some time, and this seems to be the practice.

Upon getting out I realized what I had just done...my skin felt like it was being stabbed by a thousand little needles!  This sensation didn't last long however, and I soon felt refreshed...until the heckling from the crowd sent me on to roll in the snow.  How could I not follow the instructions from the crowd?  I didn't know what was traditional and I wanted the full experience, so I took a little roll in the snow.  Truthfully speaking, adding that little insanity didn't really make me any colder than I already was, so it was worth it for the amount of applause and laughter that it generated.

Finally it was time for the sauna.  Oh, the heavenly sauna!  Now I get it.  I felt great...refreshed and accomplished.  I now understand the custom and would, dare I say it, do it again.  I'm still not certain that it is the most sane thing in the world to participate in, but it was an experience worth having and I am glad that I tried it. 

The only question remaining is: what is the next challenge? 

2 comments:

  1. What ever the next challenge is, Janet, you go girl!! And we'll want to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I guess once you are freezing, might as well get the most out of it!

    ReplyDelete