Saturday, March 24, 2012

Going to the Movies

Last weekend I went to the movies with friends and I learned a lot.  Quite a few differences between Finnish movie theaters and those in the States.  Let's start with while I was waiting for my friends to arrive (I am almost always early where ever I go).  I couldn't help but notice people carrying food into the theater.  Odd, I thought.  Could it be that you can bring your own snacks into the theater? you ask. Why, yes, it could!  I asked one of the attendants on the way out whether that was the case, and he confirmed that you can indeed bring your own snacks into the movie.  No real food, but snacks.  In the States you'd get kicked out for what would be considered an offense;  God forbid the movie theater not get its pound of flesh in the way of concession sales.  Granted, the tickets were 14.50 euros, but the novelty of bringing your own food in is so worth it.

Next, after selecting your movie, you select your seats.  No more rush to arrive and sit forever before the movie starts to get good seats (in fact, you can't get in too far in advance of the movie as the door is kept closed until it is almost time for the trailers).  As a positive side effect of the seat selection process, you can take your time at the concession stand (if you want to buy snacks there) because your seats are already secured.

And, yes, you may want to buy some snacks there not only because popcorn is best when fresh, but also because they have these little ring things called spice rings.  They look like miniture pork rinds and taste like air puffed barbeque potato chips.  Really good.

Next we arrived at our theater door, and upon going in were given our 3-D glasses ( we saw John Carter in 3-D).  The glasses were substantial, moreso than any I have seen in the States.  I personally think this is due to the fact that Finnish 3-D glasses are probably less likely to sprout legs and walk off after the movie.

The seats were wider and cushier than in the States, and the aisles were wider, thus making it possible to get to your seats without actually sitting on the laps of all the people along the way.  The cup holders were positioned at the end of the arm rests, lower, such that the top  of the cup was level with the arm rest itself.  This allowed you to use the full length of the rest, which, by the way was wider itself. 

So all in all, I feel that the Finns, once again, have got it right.  The movie experience was a wonderful one...completely quiet and without cell phone interruption of course (once again making the price well worth it).  I am looking forward to the next movie experience, and rest assured I will be bringing snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment